Spinal fusion surgery is offered by the board certified orthopedic spine surgeons of Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC. Spinal Fusion is a surgical procedure to join two or more vertebrae together in order to provide stability and strength to the spinal canal and eliminate pain. The goal of spinal fusion surgery is to stabilize the spine, diminish the spine pain, and correct curvature or mal-alignment.
- Virtual or office consultations.
- We have performed over 6,500 spine surgeons.
- Depending on your healthcare coverage, your insurance may cover your surgery.
- Please note: A doctor’s referral is NOT necessary from a General Practitioner to see our orthopedic spine surgery specialists for a consultation, 2nd opinion, or for treatment: including surgery.
- You may be walking unassisted after surgery within a few hours, and be able to go home quickly.
You will enjoy the luxury and benefit of our best in class Ivy League top rated NYC orthopedic spine surgeons who offer the finest in academic medicine in a top rated concierge environment without the hassle of long hospital waiting room times and paperwork.
I was very nervous going in for my surgery last year. It’s actually been more than a year Dr. McCance operated on my back (spine fusion surgery L5-S1) and I thanked God he was my surgeon! Dr. McCance is top notch surgeon, explains every aspects of the surgery very clearly which put me at ease to go forward with the surgery. I highly recommended him into anyone who needs surgery on their back. Don’t let anyone else operate on you. He is caring and has the best bedside manner. Him and his staff are all very friendly, courteous and professional. Thank you Dr. McCance! Me and my husband are forever grateful! ~ Google
Evaluating the source of back pain is critical in determining if a spinal fusion should be performed. Your NYC board certified orthopedic surgeon will review your:
- Medical history.
- Physical examination.
- Review of diagnostic studies including X-rays (a form of electromagnetic radiation that is used to take pictures of bones); and an MRI (magnetic and radio waves are used to create a computer image of soft tissue such as nerves and ligaments); and possibly a CAT scan.
Spinal fusion can be used to treat several conditions such as spinal fractures, tumors, and instability of the spine (spondylolisthesis). Cervical (neck) fusion is used to treat disc herniations, spurs, or nerve compression.
I write this 3 months after posterior lumbar fusion L4 L5 and having just finished my first Run since my injury. I am a masters CrossFit athlete, distance runner and avid rower . I was injured in September 22 while deadlifting. After months of pain and other doctors telling me my athletic career was over , I found Dr McCance . After one set of X-rays and a video consult with Dr. McCance I decided to move forward with surgery . I can not emphasize the professionalism and courtesy of Dr McCance and his ENTIRE staff !! They go to the utmost lengths to make the process stress free. I had surgery Jan 12 ,2023 at Lenox hill hospital NYC. I woke up post surgery pain free and strength back in my leg and foot . I was home two days later and off all pain meds in 4 days . I followed Dr McCance’s recovery protocols to the letter. I went from walking 2 minutes per day to 5 minutes to 30 min to 3 miles to over 5 miles a day . Lyndsey his PA-C was ALWAYS available if I had questions or concerns. So here I am 12 weeks out and I just completed my first run . Dr . McCance and his whole team gave me back my athletic lifestyle. I can not thank them enough for all they did and continue to do for me. ~ Google
Surgical Procedure: Spinal fusion surgery is performed under general anesthesia.
- Your orthopedic surgeon may perform a discectomy (which is the removal of the damaged disc material between the vertebrae) during this procedure.
- A laminectomy may be performed (which is the removal or trimming of the lamina (roof) of the vertebrae to relieve pressure on spinal nerves).
- Screws are placed on each side of the vertebrae to be fused.
- Rods are attached to connect the screws and stabilize the spine.
- A cage may be placed in the disc space.
- A bone graft (which consists of tiny bone chips) is then placed alongside and / or between the vertebrae.
I sought out about 5 different opinions from top rated doctors at top rated hospitals throughout the NYC area. Dr. McCance was the the most professional and took the most time with me. His bedside manner was impressionable. After being told over and over again I needed surgery, putting if off for about a year and getting to the point where I was in excruciating pain, unable to get out of bed or walk for any amount of distance; I made the decision. Allowing Dr. McCance to perform my spinal fusion was a top tier decision which has given me a new mobile life. I’d highly recommend him to anyone struggling with severe back mobility and pain issues. ~ Google
Exceptional patient care is a way of life for the doctors and staff at Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC. We tailor your care around you and will give you the peace-of-mind that comes with knowing you’re in the best possible hands for spine surgery in NYC (Manhattan, NY). Please read some of our reviews.
Dr. McCance saved my life. His skill in performing my complex fusion surgery was awesome. ~ HealthGrades
It is the Ivy League board certified orthopedic spine surgeons of Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC’s commitment to our patients that has earned us the reputation of being one of the New York’s top orthopedic spine surgery practices. Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC specializes in taking exceptional care of each patient from the initial consultation to the final surgical outcome. The honor and privilege of caring for patients comes with the responsibility and dedication of the doctor’s staff to the utmost standard of excellence in patient care and final surgical outcome.
Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC
1155 Park Ave
New York, NY 10128