Microdiscectomy is performed by the board certified spine surgeons of Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC. Microdiscectomy is a surgical procedure performed to relieve the pressure over the spinal cord and / or nerve roots caused by a herniated intervertebral disc. This surgery is an out-patient day surgery.
- Virtual or office consultations.
- We have performed over 6,500 spine surgeons.
- Depending on your healthcare coverage, your insurance may cover your surgery.
- Please note: A doctor’s referral is NOT necessary from a General Practitioner to see our orthopedic spine surgery specialists for a consultation, 2nd opinion, or for treatment: including surgery.
- You will enjoy the luxury and benefit of our best in class Ivy League top rated NYC orthopedic spine surgeons who offer the finest in academic medicine in a top rated concierge environment without the hassle of long hospital waiting room times and paperwork.
- You will be able to go home the same day (no hospital stay).
Dr. McCance saved my life. I had snowboarding injury in Jan 2019 which got worse in June, injection did not work, I was suffering from herniated disc, feeling pain in hip and leg during sleep, barely able to walk until I met Dr McCance, who cured my colleague. During first examination meeting in August, he explained my issue and the procedure very clearly. He managed to scheduled MRI and health check as well as Microdiscectomy procedure on my L5S1 disk within a week. Waking up from surgery, I can walk and the nerve pain relieved. Dr McCance, his assistant doctor Ryan and his team were super helpful and very responsive with my questions during my recovery. I walked back to office in 3 weeks without any pain. 4 months now, I am back to normal life. I have been recommending Dr. McCance to all my friends who have back issue. He is the best!!! ~ Google
A microdiscectomy is performed for patients with herniated lumbar disc, who have not found pain relief with non-surgical treatments. A microdiscectomy involves use of microsurgical techniques to gain access to the lumbar spine. Only a small portion of the herniated disc that compresses the spinal nerve is removed. A microdiscectomy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure.
Advantages of lumbar microdiscectomy:
- It decreases leg pain caused by a herniated disc, even eliminating it.
- The incision made is tiny, making it minimally invasive.
- The healthy material of the disc does not suffer.
- Adjacent discs are not damaged in any way.
- On the day of surgery, you will typically be able to walk and get up.
- A very quick return to activities of daily and work life.
What symptoms / conditions require a microdiscectomy for a herniated disc?
- Worsening sciatic pain or nerve pain down the leg.
- Worsening muscle weakness and numbness.
- Low back pain.
- No improvement using non-surgical treatments.
- An MRI scan has indicated a herniated disc.
The surgical procedure:
- Your NYC board certified orthopedic spine surgeon will make a small incision in the lower back.
- Next, some of the muscles will be separated in order to access to the spine.
- The surgeon will make a small hole called a laminotomy.
- Using a surgical microscope the orthopedic spine surgeon will identify the nerves and disc.
- The damaged part of the disc is removed.
- The orthopedic spine surgeon will suture the wound.
Exceptional patient care is a way of life for the doctors and staff at Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC. We tailor your care around you and will give you the peace-of-mind that comes with knowing you’re in the best possible hands for spine surgery in NYC (Manhattan, NY). Please read some of our reviews.
It is the Ivy League board certified orthopedic spine surgeons of Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC’s commitment to our patients that has earned us the reputation of being one of the New York’s top orthopedic spine surgery practices. Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC specializes in taking exceptional care of each patient from the initial consultation to the successful surgical outcome. The honor and privilege of caring for patients comes with the responsibility and dedication of the doctor’s staff to the utmost standard of excellence in patient care and final surgical outcome.
Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC
1155 Park Ave
New York, NY 10128