Lumbar decompression surgery is offered by the best in class board certified orthopedic spine surgeons of Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC. Lumbar decompression surgery is a type of orthopedic spine surgery used to treat compressed nerves in the lower (lumbar) spine. It is only recommended when non-surgical treatments have not helped. The surgery aims to improve symptoms such as persistent pain and numbness in the legs caused by pressure on the nerves in the spine.
- Virtual or office consultations.
- We have performed over 6500 spine surgeons.
- Depending on your healthcare coverage, your insurance may cover your surgery.
- Please note: A doctor’s referral is NOT necessary from a General Practitioner to see our orthopedic spine surgery specialists for a consultation, 2nd opinion, or for treatment: including surgery.
- You will enjoy the luxury and benefit of our best in class Ivy League top rated NYC orthopedic spine surgeons who offer the finest in academic medicine in a top rated concierge environment without the hassle of long hospital waiting room times and paperwork.
- You will be typically walking unassisted after surgery within 2-4 hours able to go home (no hospital stay).
What can I say about a surgeon who completely healed my unaligned cervical spine and squished together vertebrae that had no fluid or space at all. I went to a different surgeon first, who told me that I needed immediate surgery, and even then, I would still retain the pain that I had (note past tense)up until the surgery. The thought of that devastated me. All I did was cry. Thank God that my husband called his shattered ankle and torn meniscus surgeon who was a friend and former classmate of Dr. McCance at Columbia Medical School. Best recommendation ever! Dr. McCance performed state of the art surgery on me, using a titanium box filled with my own bone marrow to create the space and fluid. He also realigned my cervical spine. ZERO spinal pain within a very short time of the surgery! I can exercise, walk, and do everything like a much younger person. I am 66. It’s great to be agile again! Thank God that Dr. McCance is such a brilliant surgeon who keeps up with all the latest technologies! I am truly blessed! He also has a fabulous team! Thank you so much.~ Google
What happens during lumbar decompression surgery?
If lumbar decompression surgery is recommended, you’ll usually have at least 1 of the following procedures:
- Modified Laminectomy – where a section of bone is removed from 1 of your vertebrae (spinal bones) to relieve pressure on the affected nerve, done in a way to preserve stability
- Laminotomy – a partial removal of bone spurs
- Microdiscectomy– where a section of a damaged disc is removed to relieve pressure on a nerve
- Spinal fusion – where 2 or more vertebrae are joined together with a section of bone to stabilize and strengthen the spine, needed in cases of spinal instability
Dr. McCance and the staff were professional, compassionate and knowledgeable. Recently I was diagnosed with a compression of the nerve located at the C6 and C7. I suffered with pain and numbness down my left arm. I met with Dr. McCance and he explained the procedure that would correct the compressed nerve. Although I was nervous Dr. McCance and his staff reassured me everything would be fine. My recovery was as expected and now I am pain free. ~ Google
Lumber decompression is performed under general anesthesia. Your orthopedic spine surgeon will make a small incision in the midline over your lower back. The layers of muscle are separated, and the affected nerve root is identified. The lamina (bony arch of your vertebra) may be partially removed (laminectomy) and the facet joints may be trimmed to reach the compressed nerve. Your surgeon removes any bone spurs or disc material that is pressing on the spinal nerve. The incisions are closed with absorbable sutures and covered with a dressing.
Exceptional patient care is a way of life for the doctors and staff at Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC. We tailor your care around you and will give you the peace-of-mind that comes with knowing you’re in the best possible hands for spine surgery in NYC (Manhattan, NY). Please read some of our reviews.
It is the Ivy League board certified orthopedic spine surgeons of Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC’s commitment to our patients that has earned us the reputation of being one of the New York’s top orthopedic spine surgery practices. Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC specializes in taking exceptional care of each patient from the initial consultation to the successful surgical outcome. The honor and privilege of caring for patients comes with the responsibility and dedication of the doctor’s staff to the utmost standard of excellence in patient care and final surgical outcome.
Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC
1155 Park Ave
New York, NY 10128