The orthopedic spine surgeons of Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC (Manhattan, NY) specialize exclusively in the minimally invasive treatment (surgical and non-surgical) of a herniated disc (also called bulged, slipped or ruptured). We offer minimally invasive lumbar decompression surgery, microdiscectomy, endoscopic discectomy, laminectomy, laminoplasty, lumbar decompression surgery, minimally invasive robotic spine fusion, and traditional spinal fusion surgery.
Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC are a highly specialized group of NYC board certified orthopedic spine surgeons who provide world-class, evidence-based orthopedic spine surgery. By focusing on herniated disc diagnosis, treatment, and surgery we have become truly exceptional at what we do, and have achieved a reputation for excellence. We use highly specialized equipment and cutting edge contemporary methods to achieve outstanding outcomes.
- Virtual or office consultations.
- We have performed over 6,500 spine surgeries.
- Over 25 years of experience.
- Depending on your healthcare coverage, your insurance may cover your surgery.
- Please note: A doctor’s referral is NOT necessary from a general practitioner to see our orthopedic spine surgery specialists for a consultation, 2nd opinion, or for treatment: including surgery.
- You will enjoy the luxury and benefit of our best in class Ivy League top rated NYC orthopedic spine surgeons who offer the finest in academic medicine in a top rated concierge environment without the hassle of long hospital waiting room times and paperwork.
- You will typically be walking unassisted after surgery and able to go home (no hospital stay).
Dr. Sean McCance saved my life. I was in horrible back pain for years. I had tried everything – acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy, yoga. Nothing helped. After the surgery it was like a light switch that controls pain was finally turned off. His office staff is very professional and courteous. Highly recommend. ~ Google
Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC is spearheaded by Sean McCance, MD, an Ivy League board certified orthopedic spine surgeon:
- Co-Director, Spine Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital (New York)
- Attending Spine Surgeon, Lenox Hill Hospital (New York)
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Board Certified, American Board of Spine Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Fellow, Scoliosis Research Society
- Member, North American Spine Society
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, Medical Society of the State of New York
- Castle Connolly’s “Top Doctors” (2012–2023)
- Named by New York Magazine as one of the Best Doctors for Spine Surgery (2012–2023)
- Membership in the prestigious “America’s Top Physicians” (2004–2023)
- Recipient of the “Patients’ Choice” Award (2008-2023)
My spine surgery was extremely successful. I am an avid golfer, and prior to my operation I was unable to continue walking and golfing as I have done for many years. Weeks after my surgery, I was once again walking and golfing with zero limitations. Additionally, in April I was a spectator at a major golf tournament and walked 10 miles in 1 day without any problems. Selecting the right orthopedic spine surgeon took some time and my choice was simplified by deciding to see the doctor that writes the books, not reads them. ~ Google
Back problems are painful, distressing, and debilitating. As many as ten million work days are lost every single year due to back pain. If back pain is affecting your quality of life, Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC can help. We provide specialist diagnosis and treatment by board certified renowned orthopedic spine surgeons and a calm, comfortable environment in which to recover.
- We offer the most advanced minimally invasive treatment options.
- We can work with most insurances.
- We accept worker’s comp and no fault.
- We offer virtual and in-person consultations.
- We provide expert diagnosis for and customized treatment of your spinal condition and will fully support you on the path to recovery.
- We have a proven track record and are able to avoid surgery for many of our patients with non-surgical treatment plans.
I wish I could give more stars. He is not only brilliant, but also demonstrates the highest level of empathy. Dr McCance truly does care about his patients. He is understanding, knowledgeable and compassionate. His staff is also fantastic, reliable, and helpful. If you want the best of the best, look no further. ~ Google.~ Google
Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC offer the following surgeries to treat herniated discs:
- Microdiscetomy: The best in class board certified orthopedic spine surgeons at Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC may be able to operate on your back through a ‘keyhole’ procedure. This surgery has a quicker recovery time than traditional discectomy surgery.
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression Surgery: Lumbar decompression surgery is a type of orthopedic spine surgery used to treat compressed nerves in the lower (lumbar) spine.
- Endoscopic Discectomy: An endoscopic discectomy is a minimally invasive approach performed through tiny portals, and a miniature camera is used to visualize and remove the disc.
- Discectomy: A type of orthopedic spine surgery performed to remove the damaged part of one or more intervertebral discs.
- Laminectomy: A laminectomy is a type of decompression surgery performed to relieve the pressure on your spinal cord or nerves. During this procedure, the surgeon removes all or part of the vertebral bone (lamina). This helps alleviate the pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots that may be caused by a herniated disc.
- Laminoplasty: This is a motion-preserving surgery performed by our board certified NYC orthopedic spine surgeons designed to alleviate chronic nerve-related pain and restore a more optimal range of motion, laminoplasty is often used to correct stenosis in the cervical (neck) or lumbar (back). It can also be used to access and treat a problematic bone spur, an abnormal growth (tumor), or a fluid-filled cyst (syringomyelia).
- Spinal Fusion: Spinal fusion is an operation to join two or more of the spinal bones together using a bone graft.
- Minimally Invasive Robotic Spine Fusion: Dr. Sean McCance is one of a select group of board-certified orthopedic spine surgeons in New York to be fully certified in ExcelsiusGPS® robotic spine surgery. This new minimally invasive technology is the most advanced technology in the field of robotic surgery for orthopedic spinal fusion surgery.
I am 64 years old but very active. Play softball regularly and touch football. Out of nowhere, I couldn’t walk 4 steps without writhing in pain. I thought I was done being athletic. L4 L3, ruptured herniated disk! Dr. McCance operated and I did the PT religiously. I now have no pain, no loss of strength, and I feel like I did about 10 years ago. I can run fast 🙂 I am so so grateful. He is a great surgeon. I have a few friends who had spine surgery and sadly, it didn’t work out like it did for me. I highly recommend Dr. McCance. 🙂 ~ Google
Exceptional patient care is a way of life for the doctors and support staff at Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC. We tailor your care around you and will give you the peace-of-mind that comes with knowing you’re in the best possible hands for spine surgery in NYC (Manhattan, NY). Please read some of our reviews.
It is the Ivy League board certified orthopedic spine surgeons of Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC’s commitment to our patients that has earned us the reputation of being one of the New York’s top orthopedic spine surgery practices. Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC specializes in taking exceptional care of each patient from the initial consultation to the final surgical outcome. The honor and privilege of caring for patients comes with the responsibility and dedication of the doctor’s staff to the utmost standard of excellence in patient care and final surgical outcome.
Herniated Disc Surgery Specialists of NYC
1155 Park Ave
New York, NY 10128